Nurpur Fort Grandeur at its Best

    Author: NARESH THAKUR Genre: »
    Rating



    Nurpur is a small town in the Kangra district in Himachal Pradesh, around 70 km from Dalhousie. Located at a height of 643 meters above sea level, Nurpur was once the princely state of Pathania clans of Rajputs. The town is heaving beautiful temples and a very old fort which is the grandeur of this town. This place is so beautiful that even Mughal queen Noorjehan also fell in love with the place.
     History
    The dynasty of Nurpur was established by Jatpal alias Rana Bhet, a Taur Rajput from Delhi, who settled at Pathankot and took possession of all the country in the foot of the hills. Rajputs shifted their capital to the modern town of Nurpur (renamed after Begum Nurjahan) towards the end of seventeenth century. A muslim descendant of the Rajas of Nurpur Sayed Khan ruled over this territory till 1781.
    Nurpur was known as Dhameri until a visit from Noorjehan, the queen of Emperor Nuruddin Salim Jahangir (1569-1627) of the Mughal Dynasty. The queen was so impressed by the natural beauty of the town that she decided to construct her palace here. This posed a problem for then local ruler Raja Jagat Singh Pathania, as he did not want his freedom to be curtailed by the Mughal domination and politics. So, he perpetrated the story that the climate of the place was not good and causes a disease goiter, which was at that time very common among locals. Horrified, the queen dropped the idea of constructing her palace, but the name of the town was changed to Nurpur in 1622, by the Raja Jagat Singh Pathania to commemorate this visit of Begum Nur Jahan who had instantly fallen in love with this place.
    Inside Brij Raj Swami Temple       
    The Brij Raj Swami temple inside the Nurpur fort is a 16th century historical temple of Lord Krishna and home to a much revered deity. It is the only temple in the world, where Lord Krishna and Meera idols are worshipped. It is said that the statue of Lord Krishna was worshipped by Meera, and when Raja of Nurpur went to Chittorgarh he got this statue as a return gift from the Maharana of Chittorgarh. Along with this, Raja also brought a Moulsary (a fruit-bearing plant) sampling and it dried on way back and it was put to life through Puja and chanting of mantras. This plant has now grown into a huge tree. It flowers, but does not bear any fruit unlike such plants in Rajasthan.
      



    source:divya himachal




    Leave a Reply

    Total Pageviews

    मेरा ब्लॉग अब सुरक्षित है